Saturday, September 8, 2007

Hudson, it's "Martha Mitchell Calling"


As I left the Stagework's performance of "Martha Mitchell Calling" Friday night, my friend turned to me and said, "There's a little Martha Mitchell in you Trixie, isn't there?"

I said, "There's a little Martha Mitchell in all of us. The goal is to let it out."

I'm an easy date. I agreed to see the play without knowing one thing about it. I have never been to a Stageworks performance, and in the beginning of the evening, as we walked towards the theatre, I asked my friend, "What are we seeing again?"

"'Martha Mitchell Calling'", he said.

"Oh, who was Martha Mitchell?"

I heard the name, but I really had no idea. Thanks, high school "Social Studies" teachers...

Now I know who she is. She's a role model.

Who wouldn't love a funny, boisterous Washington wife in a pink negligee calling the press whenever she found out that "Trickie Dickie" Nixon was up to no good? Nixon admitted that if it weren't for Martha Mitchell, there would be no Watergate.

The performance was great. Throughout the show, my main thought was, "My God, that wig must be hot..."

I'm not a theatre critic, so I'll stop at my wig comment....just go see the show, why not? What else are you doing in Hudson on a Friday or Saturday night? Really? Support some local theatre and just go.

Here's the web address:

http://stageworkshudson.org/martha.htm

Thanks goes to Martha Mitchell for getting involved; for not sitting at home and keeping her mouth shut. She spoke out against the Vietnam war and Nixon -- and she was a Republican.

A loud gal and her pink princess phone can change the world.


Actress Annette Miller as Martha Mitchell

11 comments:

aaron said...

god bless martha mitchell.

Anonymous said...

"Oh, who was Martha Mitchell?"

Martha Mitchell was famous for her phone calls to the press about matters the Nixon-era conspirators wanted kept under wraps. Eclipsing her husband as a household name and water cooler topic, Martha's portrait appeared on the cover of Time magazine in 1970, and later on the cover of New York magazine in a glamor shot supervised and photographed by Francesco Scavullo.

Dubbed “the Mouth of the South”, Martha Mitchell began contacting reporters when her husband's role in the scandal became known. At one time, Martha insisted she was held against her will in a California hotel room and sedated to keep her from making her controversial phone calls to the news media. However, because of this, she was discredited and even abandoned by most of her family, except her son Jay. Nixon aides even leaked to the press that she had a “drinking problem”. The 'Martha Mitchell effect', in which a psychiatrist mistakenly diagnoses someone's extraordinary but reasonable belief as a delusion, was later named after her. Nixon was later to tell interviewer David Frost (in September 1977 on Frost on America) “If it hadn't been for Martha Mitchell, there'd have been no Watergate.”

Don't blame your high school teacher. Even cats know about Wikipedia.

Tippy

Anonymous said...

Martha Mitchell YELLING is more like it... you could hear it all the way up on Allen Street.

Agnes said...

There used to be a guy in Hudson we called Tricky Dick... remind me to tell you the story sometime.

North Fifth Street said...

Get this... there's a movie in production now for 2008 release...

DIRTY TRICKS

OMG: Martha Mitchell played by MERYL STREEP!

Agnes said...

I'm gonna stain my Depends...

John Dean played by B R A D P I T T . . .

Anonymous said...

One of a long line... those who changed the course of history while recumbent in bed...

Anonymous said...

Hey Agnes you aren't the only one that needs to make an uregnt pit stop...

Did you see the VMAs Sunday? Britney danced like she had a pantsload.

Anonymous said...

Hey, was Martha Mitchell ever identified as "Deep Throat"?

Anonymous said...

"A loud gal and her pink princess phone can change the world..."

Imagine the fun Martha coulda had with an iPhone!

Anonymous said...

On an iPhone? Then they'd have to change the title to "Martha Mitchell Celling".