Friday, February 29, 2008

49 Cents

MINUS ONE.

Most of this blog, I make up shit.

My real life is way too boring, no one would read.

But, sometimes, real life is too good, and even I couldn't make it up.

Like, this story, totally TRUE.

I get a notice in the mail, I owe the City of Hudson tax money, a couple of hundred dollars. It's a slip of paper, with the amount hand-written.

I owe X dollars and Y cents.

When I was writing the check out, I didn't have the hand-written slip of paper in front of me. I remembered the dollar amount, but didn't remember the cents.

I just rounded up and paid the next full dollar amount.

Fine.

The check is cashed a week or so later...all is good.

About another week goes by, and I get a letter in the mail, from the City of Hudson Treasurer's office. It's a little heavy.

I open it up, and there's a little envelope with FORTY-NINE CENTS CHANGE in it; a quarter, two dimes, and four pennies.

It's not a credit to my account, not a check, but the actual change.

Totally true.


Now, I'm thinking.....can people in town PAY their taxes in cash? Why not?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't spend it all in one place!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Tippy can invest it for you - think about your long-term financial security in Hudson, OK?

Agnes said...

That Fitty Cent... he sure knows how to put a girl in the mood...

It ain't easy to make money
So now everybody wanna take money
You ain't a thug, matter fact you a fake money
Fuck wit mines, I'ma view you at ya weight money

Big Momma said...

Aggie - remember back in the day when you thought 50 cent was to much and quickly gave them their change...

Agnes said...

Momma you know I cant recollect as much as you do!

Anonymous said...

Enquiring minds want to know - how much was the postage to mail you forty-nine cents in change?!

Mary Hartman said...

I think you should sent that money back to city hall and tell them to do something about that waxy yellow build-up on the floor in there.

Anonymous said...

I think you should donate the money back to the Hudson Flag Day celebration.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! they could buy 49 cents of penny candy to pelt the inbred children with