Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Chasing Trixie Starr

True story....

Ya know, maybe it's me.

Maybe I'm pushy and stubborn.

Maybe.

I had to go to the bank today and sign a form, something that required my physical presence. Other than the parties, most of my world is virtual, which is how I like it, thank you.

How many times have you been disappointed meeting someone in person after reading their electronic profile? Sometimes, it's better to keep a safe electronic distance, and keep the fantasy alive.

Anyway, I'm at the nearest Chase branch, in Kingston this morning, and I asked the guy if I could sign the form.

"Well, we haven't had any training in this. Can you come back on Thursday?"

WHAT? No. I'm not coming back all the way to fucking Kingston on Thursday. No fucking way.

Deep breath.

"Um, is there someone you can call who would know? It's a schlep from Hudson to Kingston."

Smile, Trixie, smile.

"Let me see.."

He made a phone call and they found the form on the intranet and I signed it. Done. Pushy New Yorker wins. Then he asked me,

"If you want to make an appointment to talk to our investment adviser, I can set that up for you."

"Oh, well, I would have to drive back down?"

"Yes, or he can come to you."

"What? He'd come to Hudson?"

"Yes."

Ok....I almost fell out of my chair. Some guy, who only works in the office one day a week was willing to drive up to Hudson to give me financial advice for, really, not a lot of money...it's not like I qualify for Chase's Global Wealth Management department or anything...

Then, I'm thinking, I'm going to take investment advice from some guy who's job it is to drive to Hudson to see me? C'mon. If he really knew of any sound investments, he'd be at home, sitting by the hot tub with dancing girls feeding him grapes or a 25-year old hot Latino boy sucking him off. Or, both.

"That's OK," I said, "I'll just call on-line services and invest that way."

I'm sure their portfolio investments are all from a script, anyway. What's the guy going to do in Hudson? What's the advantage? He's going to come to my house, and say,

"Well, maybe you need to INVEST in some NATURAL-hair wigs, instead of all these polyester wigs you have in your living room."

Yeah, thanks.

ANYWAY, the main reason for this blog post is that the guy behind the counter at Chase said to me,

"Oh, Hudson? huh?"

I said, "...yes..." holding my breath, thinking, 'WHAT is he going to say about Hudson?'

He said, "that town has changed a lot since the people from the city started moving in. Fixing up all those houses, it's gotten better."

"Thanks. Yeah, it's changing."

And that's where I'm going to leave off today.....CHANGE!

CHANGE! CHANGE! CHANGE!

It's really the underlying issue, on so many levels.

I've always thought to embrace change, because that's just the way things are. Things change, people change, towns change. Like it or not, so you might as well go with it.

You either change and adapt, or you're left behind; economically, socially, politically....

Yeah, the furniture factory is closing this week. It's a shame. But, there's not much furniture being made in North Carolina anymore, let alone upstate New York! Whaddaya gonna do? Compete with China? Where they have no environmental laws and pennies labor?

The future upstate is not manufacturing, sorry. The future is a service-industry economy.....just try to get a contractor in Hudson to return your phone calls!!!

Learn a new skill, start a new career, open up a new business. It's never too late.

Change does require work. You may have to go back to school, or take a risk, or check yourself into rehab.

Babydoll, the sooner, the better.

Change is good.

....although I still plan on banking with Chase!

:)

No comments: