Saturday, November 22, 2008

"The Spirit of the Place" Discussion Group Tomorrow

Hey folks,

Tomorrow, there's this book discussion group at the Opera House. "The Spirit of the Place" is a novel written in "Columbia", a "quirky Hudson River town".

A friend of mine read it, she said, "the town is known for having its cast of characters throughout the years."

hmmm....I wonder which town it's talking about.....and "quirky"?? Cast of characters? hmmm.

All I know is that I can't go. Why? Oh, have I mentioned that I'm in Fort Lauderdale this weekend? It's chilly today, it's barely 65 degrees, it was about 75 degrees yesterday, and I'm blogging pool side at a gay clothing-optional resort, with a cup of Starbucks. Doesn't get that much better.

um, Southwest $99 one-way out of Albany....what's stopping you?

At the current moment...true story...there's this cute guy sitting across the pool talking to his boyfriend, he's wearing a towel and nothing underneath. How do I know this? Because he's sitting with his knees up and there's a little man sac action dangling from underneath his towel.

It's amazing how even a slight glimpse of unobtainable scrotum can keep me entertained and amused.

Maybe there needs to be more scrotum action in Hudson? (is the plural scrotii? scrotae? e pluribus scrotum - 'Scrotum for Many'?)

I know what you're thinking....be careful what you ask for, Trixie....

Here's a story for ya....

So, last night, I'm giving this blow job, right? Now, I wasn't giving him the first class or business class service....but I was giving the "pay-an-extra-$39-and-get-more-legroom" service.

I'm a trooper, but he was your stereotypical WASP; stoic, unemotional, blah. I was getting bored and started thinking about that National Grid payment sitting on the counter at home.

That's the problem....you get one thing or the other. With the "Roller Coaster Boys", the sex is great! It's like going to the circus; loud and raucous, there's acrobatics and juggling involved, lots of props and a side show act....like a midget or a fat lady...

But, then you get the drama, too, the ups and downs, because they're only happy when there's conflict. And they call you up drunk at 3am, crying, because they never resolved the death of their canary when they were five....ugh...so tiring....I'm exhausted just writing about it.

Then there's the slow and stable boys, who don't like conflict. They make good husbands, but then you find yourself thinking about your mortgage interest rate while you have his dick in your mouth.

Thank God I got a fixed rate....that's what I was thinking....six percent.

It's either good sex & high drama or bad/no sex and no drama. So little in between... If you're getting bad/no sex AND high drama, then YOU got issues. Get yourself out of there, or just kill yourself.

Where was I?

Oh yes, I was giving him the "$39-extra-leg-room" blow job, and there was just no appreciation for my tireless - and UNPAID - efforts. We were in a holding pattern, and I was going to miss another flight.

At one point, I stopped, looked up, gave him my "Eve Arden from the Mother's-in-Law" expression, and, well, I think he got the hint.

Boring sex is better than no sex...I guess....maybe not.

I'm just too old for it....and I have other things to do, like promote Hedda Lettuce on December 6th! Wigged-Out Winter Walk! It's gonna be FABULOUS!

But, what was this blog post REALLY supposed to be about?

The Opera House discussion group!

oops. I get sidetracked.

Here's the info, below.

(Hey, Opera House, there's no such thing as bad publicity....as long as they spell your name right!)

Book Discussion Group

The Spirit of the Place

Author Appearance, Samuel Shem
Sunday, November 23, 1:30 p.m.

The Hudson Opera House presents writer Samuel Shem as a guest author at the Book Discussion Group for adults on Sunday, November 23 from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. at HOH. The Spirit of the Place, a novel of love and death, of mothers and sons, of doctors and patients, and a quirky small Hudson River town. Filled with the ineffable Shem-humor. Samuel Shem (pen-name of Stephen Bergman, M.D., Ph.D.) is a novelist, playwright, and for three decades a doctor on the Harvard Medical School faculty. The discussion is facilitated by Lisa Dolan and is free and open to the public.

The Spirit of the Place tells the story of an expatriate doctor called home to Columbia, New York, in the early 1980s to face his own history and that of the place. It is a novel of love and death, mothers and sons, ghosts and bullies, doctors and patients, illness and healing.

The Spirit of the Place is Shem at his finest-compassionate, capacious, funny, full of big ideas and memorable personalities. It offers an authentic, unvarnished portrait of the medical profession and underscores the crucial link between the health of individuals and the health of communities.

No comments: