Thursday, June 4, 2009

Register-Star Supports Gay Marriage!!

The rest of the editorial is at the bottom of this post.
Click on the image and it'll be easier to read.


Sorry, I forgot to tell you this sooner.

This weekend, the Register-Star came out in support of gay marriage!

YAY!

I'm sending my copy it to our upstate NYS Senator, Senator Saland, who is on the list as NOT supporting gay marriage.

I'm glad the Reg-Star got it together, and wrote an editorial in support. Really, what are they going to do? NOT support gay marriage? The villagers would be out there with their torches and pitchforks!
I live around the corner, so now I don't have to go there and beat anyone up!


I agree with the Register-Star's editorial, except for this ONE line:

"Why is it perfectly acceptable to treat gay people as second-class citizens simply because of who they love?"

It should read:

"Why is it perfectly acceptable to treat gay people as second-class citizens simply because of WHOM they love?"

The person that is being loved is the object in this sentence.

Don't believe me? Ask Grammar Girl! You know that I'm such a Grammar Girl myself....

I believe as gay people, we should be grammatically correct. (I actually care more about grammar and interest rates than gay marriage - which probably says a lot...) Hey, I'd be happy if the Reg-Star corrected MY grammar. Then, I would know that they're reading!

Let's take these two questions:

"Who fucked you, Trixie?" and "Whom did you fuck, Trixie?"

In both examples, the BOTTOM (the one getting fucked) is the object.

In the first question, 'Trixie' is the object, or the bottom. In the second question, the bottom, the object, is the one getting fucked - that's when you use WHOM.

Figure out the object, or the bottom, and you're fine!

(Unless, of course there are two bottoms, then the relationship, and the sentence structure, is doomed.)

Now, you get it?

...sigh.....nevermind....

I'm happy the Reg-Star supported gay marriage.

I'll just leave it at that.

;)

Trix


We love Grammar Girl:

As Grammar Girl says:

Still too hard to remember? OK, here's the quick and dirty tip. Like whom, the pronoun him ends with m. When you're trying to decide whether to use who or whom, ask yourself if the answer to the question would be he or him. That's the trick: if you can answer the question being asked with him, then use whom, and it's easy to remember because they both end with m. For example, if you're trying to ask, "Who (or whom) do you love?" The answer would be "I love him." Him ends with an m, so you know to use whom. But if you are trying to ask, "Who (or whom) stepped on Squiggly?" the answer would be "He stepped on Squiggly." There's no m, so you know to use who. So that's the quick and dirty trick: if you can't remember that you use whom when you are referring to the object of the sentence, just remember that him equals whom.

2 comments:

Trixie said...

oh, c'mon...

I needed SOMETHING to play with!

You think making shit up every day is easy?

Anonymous said...

How about: "Why is it perfectly acceptable to treat gay people as second-class citizens simply because of WHAT they love?"