Friday, December 18, 2009

Scalera Supports Gay Marriage. Saland Doesn't.


Well, Mayor Scalera of the City of Hudson supports gay marriage.

Here's the article.

Someone said to me, "Trixie, you haven't commented, yet."

The reason it's taken me so long to comment is because I just don't care.

I mean, it's very nice that he supports gay marriage, but, that and a token gets you on the subway.

If Scalera was out there like the mayor of New Paltz, or Gavin Newsome, then yes, it'd be a different story.


Scalera's a city mayor and it's a state issue, so he has no vote.

Here's a quote from the article from Saland:

Saland issued this statement to the Register-Star on his vote the following day: “Yesterday’s vote regarding gay marriage was anything but easy. As one who previously supported SONDA (the Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act), I dwelled at great length on my decision. I have previously expressed my support of civil unions, which I continue to support.”

You dwelled on this at great length? Really?

How long did it take you? What's there to "dwell" on?

Were you worried about all the homophobic votes you'd lose?

If Scalera said something BEFORE the election...then maybe, MAYBE Saland would have thought, 'maybe there's more support in Columbia County for gay marriage than I thought. Maybe I should vote for gay marriage.'

Maybe. Maybe not.

(Maybe Sclera said something, but I didn't hear anything. He never said anything to me....and I do run a blog called GayHudson.com.)

Anyway, this whole issue of gay marriage annoys me on another level because we still have to look to others to somehow validate our relationships, and our lives.

That's the way the system works, I guess.

It's never easy.
You know I'd be a suffragette, if just to wear the hats.


I think these politicians waited until after the election to vote on gay marriage, this way, they're in for one more term.

Well, Saland is out next term.

I'm calling my Poughkeepsie friends and we're getting him out of there.

Enough.

1 comment:

luckymonkey said...

Holly & I went to Mass. in Oct. & got married. It was symbolic because it carries no legal value. Until it becomes a federal law we'll waste time with the state dance. But this will play out in small ways until it finally tips the just way. You can't legislate discrimination.