Thursday, April 22, 2010

Grammatically Incorrect Spam.....

I wouldn't serve my dog, Spam....seriously.

I got an email the other day,

"FREE AUTO INSURANCE ESTIMATES!"

....like, that's an incentive?

When has anyone ever paid for an auto insurance ESTIMATE?

Today, I get an email:

I am Dr. Marc Schneider and I work for Multilingual Search Engine Optimization Inc. in Washington DC - I would like to speak with the person in charge of your international clientele. Who is my contact? Who should I speak to??

In fact, after visiting http://gayhudson.blogspot.com , I have noticed that your website cannot be found on foreign search engines (I tested it on Hispanic search engines, German search engines, Asian search engines, etc.) Our company is specialized in multilingual search engine promotions in 28 languages . From the Japanese Google to the German Yahoo, from the AOL in Spanish to the MSN in Chinese, we can show you how to develop a true international online presence by promoting your website on foreign search engines.


You want the person in charge of GayHudson.com's international clientele?

Have you READ my blog?

You want my Bangladeshi contact on Robinson Street?

You've tried to find GayHudson.com on Hispanic and German search engines......really?

You tell me in your email that you're a doctor, AND you specialize in multilingual search engine promotion, yet, you use the grammatically incorrect sentence:

Who should I speak to??

First of all, it's WHOM, because the person you're looking for is the object, and you left the sentence with a dangling preposition.

I cannot post my grammar girl link often enough, can I ?

Read this if you want to know the difference between who and whom.

The sentence should be:

"To whom should I speak?"

Anyway, my next crusade is going to be "its" and "it's".

"It's" is the contraction of IT and IS.

"Its" is actually the possessive.

That's a common error, and I'm willing to overlook it, because it's counter-intuitive.

You would think that the possessive is "it's".

I'm re-reading Strunk and White's The Elements of Style.

....it's only going to get worse.

:)

Trix

2 comments:

raindog469 said...

I think I'm in love!

bro said...

good choice to expand Trixie Starr to Bangladesh.

From Wikipedia:
"Bangladesh is the seventh most populous country and is among the most densely populated countries in the world. The country is listed among the "Next Eleven" economies."

Don't get it confused with among the "Next 7-Eleven" economies.

BTW, Last week, I learned how to say "How are you?" in Bengali, because the owner of the deli around the corner was interested in buying some real estate from me. The odds add up to a sychronistic event for me.

That's why I still (despite blah blah blah) read GayHudson.com.