Friday, February 4, 2011

Duwahuhafta


I tell people, "do-what-you-have-to" is my middle name.

I guess I need to create a name like, "Duwahuhafta" or something like that.

I struggle with being called a 'drag queen', mostly because, well, I don't really care.

It's a means to an end. It gets me from point A to point B - and it does it fairly quickly, with a lot of fun, and sometimes I make a few bucks.

(Sometimes, like this past week, I was in a room of over 90 college students at the Culinary Institute calling BINGO numbers - and they were taking their shirts off for another BINGO card! OMG, it was so much fun! And, I got paid. How ridiculous is that? I'm getting paid to watch cute college boys take their shirts off in front of me!)

If it was just me in my normal clothes, which lately is a sweatshirt and jeans, it wouldn't happen.

A dress and a wig, some bad jokes and chocolate chip cookies. Boom. Done.

You do what you have to.

You don't complain, you don't find excuses, you don't blame your past or someone else.....you just do it.

And then, what happens, is that when you keep doing, and keep trying, sometimes, it works.

You keep throwing, and sometimes, it sticks.

:)

Last year, at this time, I don't remember what I was doing.....I was doing a Red Party at the Red Dot...I'm doing another Red Party on the 12th. You should go. People are going stir crazy with this weather, it's going to be fun.

(I might wear the same dress....because, well, as I said, I don't really care....as long as it fits.....and I get the stains out....)

But, this coming weekend, the Hudson Pride Foundation is doing a Rainbow Skate night for gay teens - under 21s - in Columbia County.

They get in free, and it's (the first that we know of) LGBT-friendly teen event in the county.

You know what? They're coming out in High School now, and that's wonderful!

We want these teens to know that there's a community out there for them. They have support - and it's right here in their backyard.

We'll push the scholarship program. We gave away $1,000 last year, and this year, we're giving away $2,000. $1,000 to last year's recipients and a new $1,000 to this year's scholarship winner.

There is now a gay and lesbian non-profit organization in Columbia County, and we're raising money for high school students that show a commitment to gay/lesbian issues, plus the HPF is organizing the Pride Parade again.

The parade for this June is under way - June 17-19, 2011.

TWO boat cruises on Friday night, a parade on Saturday at noon, a rally right after and a BIG party all night. The official announcement is on its way.

:)

On Sunday, which will be Father's Day, we are having "Family Pride" on Warren Street - bouncy-castles, and stuff like that for kids, and their gay or gay-friendly families.

Point B.

The dresses and wigs just helped get us there.

Love,
Trix

1 comment: